- To improve the texture of a cake, add a few drops of boiling water to the butter and sugar when creaming.
- To cut a cake without breaking the icing, wet your knife in warm water first.
- Coat dried fruit and nuts with flour being used in a recipe to prevent them from falling to the bottom when baking.
- When using a packaged pastry mix for a pie crust, substitute light cream or lite sour cream for the liquid in the mix recipe.
- When making pancakes, try using a small amount of salt in place of grease on the griddle.
- For a great taste try burying a piece of vanilla bean in an airtight jar of granulated sugar for a few days before using the sugar for baking. The gases given off by the bean will flavor the sugar.